At a first treatment a consultation is carried out. This is completely confidential and includes taking a medical history and health and lifestyle details. It is also to establish there are no contra indications to treatment and if there are areas when caution should be exercised; to discuss the reason for treatment and to establish that Reflexology is the most suitable treatment; establish client expectations; and to answer any questions prior to treatment the client may have.
The client is seated in a very comfortable reclining chair and the feet are then cleaned with distilled witch hazel. The feet are examined and then they are relaxed using a number of massage techniques before the Reflexology treatment begins.
The actual treatment works over the whole of the body on the foot with very precise movements mostly using the thumb or index finger. Most people find Reflexology very relaxing and often fall asleep during a treatment. Sometimes there may be a reason why a part of the foot cannot be treated e.g. injury and so the treatment is continued on the corresponding area of the hand. The treatment ends with a relaxing foot massage.
The client is given a glass of water and after-care advice is given. This can include some self help Reflexology techniques to perform on the hand.
During the treatment there may be some areas of tenderness or sensitivity on the foot. In people with acute conditions a little sharp pain may be felt, and in chronic conditions a dull pain may be experienced in some areas. Sometimes reactions can be felt in other parts of the body e.g. a feeling of warmth or coldness.
In the 24 hours after a treatment, there is often an increase in urination; there can be an increase in bulk, volume and frequency of the stool; there can be an increase in nasal secretions. There can be a feeling of tiredness as the body is working overtime to bring about healing and elimination. You can feel very sleepy and relaxed, and sometimes you can have restored energy and feel wonderful.
The number of treatments needed depends very much on the specific problem presented and health of the client. Chronic conditions may take several sessions before the client sees a real positive benefit. Sometimes it can take three sessions before the client sees any changes and sometimes changes can happen very quickly following just the first treatment. Children and pregnant women can often respond more quickly to treatment. Treatments are generally given on a weekly basis.
Yes. A very fit client who suffers a sprain/strain would benefit from two or even more treatments in the space of one week. An otherwise fit/healthy client who is suffering from PMS can benefit from a twice weekly treatment.
Yes, if the client has any of the following: an acute undiagnosed pain; cellulitis; contagious or notifiable disease; under the influence of drugs or alcohol; will be undertaking imminent medical tests or procedures (within 72 hours) as having Reflexology may affect the result; unstable heart condition; thrombosis.
No. Reflexology should not hurt but some areas on the foot may feel tender or different or a little uncomfortable depending on the health and specific problem presented of the client.
Indian Head Massage
Immediately after the treatment, the client will be encouraged to sit quietly for a few minutes and offered a glass of water. In the 24 hours after a treatment, try to spend the day in as calm and stress-free a state as possible. Try to avoid alcohol which tends to dehydrate the body and introduces toxins to the body. Drinking water or herbal teas will help to clear the system. Try to limit your caffeine intake after the treatment. Following the above helps gain the maximum benefits from an Indian head massage. Clients can expect to experience a good night's sleep, to have improved concentration, clearer thinking and greater alertness the following day. Indian head massage also helps clear the sinuses and airways.
Most people feel wonderful after a treatment, but as the body works to get rid of toxins in the cleansing process a minority of people may experience tiredness, or get a headache, have a little nausea, have disrupted sleep, or increased secretions from the mucous membranes in the nose and mouth.
Yes, the following are contra indications to having Indian head massage:
- if the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- suffering from food poisoning
- high temperature/fever
- recent accidents, injuries or surgery e.g. whiplash, head injury, concussion etc
- acute infectious diseases
- undergoing medical treatment for cancer or any other serious medical condition
- very high or very low blood pressure
- suffering from any localised infectious/contagious skin disorders on the areas to be worked on e.g. cold sores
- is suffering from any severe inflammations
- is suffering from aneurosa - localised dilation of the blood vessels (commonly the artery in the temple/forehead area in the elderly)
Face lift massage should not be given:
- if the client has a serious medical condition such as cancer; when a client is undergoing serious medical treatment or has an active infection
- high temperature or fever
- contagious skin disorders anywhere on the areas to be treated
- eye infections
- tooth or gum infections or toothache
- tendency to bruise easily e.g. this may apply to people with diabetes or those taking blood thinning drugs
- sunburnt skin
- cold sores
This massage may provide one or more of the following benefits. For long-term results a series of treatments is recommended. The effects are cumulative.
- lessens wrinkes and habitual expression lines
- releases tension in surrounding muscles
- reduces under-eye bags and puffiness
- tones and firms facial muscles
- tightens facial contours
- increases elasticity
- improves skin tone
- softens the skin
- refines pores
- enhances supply of nutrients to skin cells
- promotes better blood and lymphatic circulation
- frees constrictions in connective tissue and facial muscles
- encourages connective tissue to glide more smoothly
- increases elimination of toxins
- balances the body's subtle energy
- generates a glowing look for days
- creates brighter and more alert eyes
- encourages innate beauty, confidence and radiance
- promotes a relaxed, more mobile and youthful appearance
- relieves stress-related symptoms such as headaches, eyestrain and insomnia